The last several decades have seen an increase in the severity of penalties for drug crimes. Additionally, what you and many people might term "personal use" could be called trafficking under current statutes. The penalties for these offenses are not to be taken lightly.
Choose An Experienced Defense Attorney
Being charged with a drug crime can be overwhelming. If you have been charged with a drug crime, you may not know where to turn to begin defending yourself and protecting your privacy. Illegal searches are the basis for a large number of drug arrests. Don't let the police violate your constitutional rights. A good place to start is with Spokane drug charges lawyer David Partovi.
At Partovi Law, P.S., we utilize our decade of criminal defense experience to create aggressive representation that is designed to get your charges dropped or secure an acquittal. We represent clients throughout eastern Washington and northern Idaho.
For a free initial consultation, Call (509) 270-2141 or email us.
Effective Defense Against State And Federal Drug Charges
We help clients arrested for charges involving any type of drugs, including:
- Narcotics, such as opium and cocaine, or derivatives such as crack cocaine and heroin
- Prescription drugs, including Oxycontin, oxycodone and hydrocodone
- Methamphetamine (Meth)
Criminal charges involving controlled substances carry significant penalties:
- Possession — In Washington, this is punishable by up to five years in prison, a $10,000 fine, or both. In Idaho, the penalty is a maximum of seven years and/or a $15,000 fine. In both states, penalties may be doubled for repeat offenses or those involving minors.
- Distribution, manufacture, sale or possession with intent to distribute — In Washington, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and/or $25,000; greater penalties apply for quantities greater than 2 kilograms, sales near schools or to minors, and repeat offenses. In Idaho, the maximum penalty is a life sentence and a fine of $25,000.
- Trafficking — In Idaho only. This is essentially possession of large quantities, and the penalties depend on the qualities involved. Mandatory minimum penalties range from 3 years and $10,000 to 10 years and $25,000, with much larger maximum penalties.
Given the severity of the consequences if you are convicted, it is crucial to choose a knowledgeable, compassionate, and highly skilled defense attorney. When you're in trouble, you can rely on Partovi Law.
Marijuana Laws In Washington
While the recreational use of marijuana is legal in Washington State, it is still a carefully controlled substance — the new laws include strict limits. Private cultivation of the plants remains illegal, and public consumption is subject to a $100 fine. Possession of more than 1 ounce of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail; for amounts greater than 40 grams, the penalty for possession is identical to those described above. Other laws apply for the use, cultivation and possession of medical marijuana.
When Cutting Deals With The Prosecution Is No Longer An Option
Our goal is always to achieve the best possible result for our client, no matter the situation. We will work to uncover the full story of your situation. If we discover that evidence was gathered in a way that did not respect your constitutional rights, we will work to have that evidence suppressed. We will present all available evidence to ensure that the court sees you and your case in the best possible light.
Contact Partovi Law Today
When you need effective defense against drug charges, we're here for you. call (509) 270-2141 to schedule your free case evaluation. You can also complete our online contact form. Se habla español. We accept credit cards.