Mother and son hugging

Child Custody

If you are a parent going through a divorce or separation, child custody is probably your biggest concern.

To make sure your children's best interests are protected, schedule a free consultation with attorney David Partovi.

Partovi Law in Spokane, WA, serves parents in eastern Washington.

Responsive, Personable Help When You Need It Most Call Our Spokane Law Office Today For A Free Consultation

Legal issues can be daunting, especially when they concern your children. Having a child custody lawyer in your corner can help you navigate the complexities of child custody cases and family law to ensure you and your children are protected.

David Partovi has been in practice for 22 years, is licensed in both Washington State and Idaho, and he has the knowledge to help you handle all aspects of your custody case. Mr. Partovi personally answers his own calls, and he limits his caseloads to ensure each of his clients and their unique cases get the attention they need and deserve.

Don't fight a child custody battle alone. Call our law office or request a free consultation online with our attorney today.

(509) 638-3247

What Our Clients Say About Partovi Law Reviews from the Greater Spokane Area


Liliya S.


Google logo

I’m so grateful for David, he spent more than an hour with me after hours trying to help me with my urgent need. He gave me his opinion and advice and haven’t take any money for the consultation. He’s very friendly and professional. He takes a very close look at your situation. I would definitely come back to him and recommend him to others. Thank you, David!

View on Google

Hanncel Sanchez


Google logo

We are very pleased with the outstanding service we received from Mr. Partovi and his staff. Mr. Partovi is very knowledgeable, professional and flexible. We met at his office very last minute and yet he took the time to go through the case details and answer all of our questions. He showed that he cared about the case and his client. He even went out of his way to make the impossible possible! We totally recommend his law firm 100%! Professional, reliable and trustworthy!

View on Google

The Benefits of Having Our Child Custody Attorney Working on Your Side

Mother happily hugging child

Enjoy Peace of Mind

Family law disputes can feel isolating, overwhelming, and complex, especially when children are involved. Having an attorney like Mr. Partovi to navigate you through this difficult, critically important time can put you at ease since he deeply understands complicated family law and how to achieve the most favorable outcomes. When you choose our attorney, you can rest assured you and your child's best interests will be represented.

Lawyer and client

Protect Your Rights

Many parents without legal representation are blindsided when their former partner's attorneys seek to infringe on their parenting rights. Having Mr. Partovi and his Spokane legal team on your side from day one of your child custody case ensures you have dogged advocates who will do everything in their power to obtain the best possible custody arrangement. 

Father and daughter hugging

Reach a Timely Resolution

Legal battles are often time-consuming and frustratingly lengthy, especially without the help of a lawyer. People who try to navigate the law on their own frequently make errors that lead to delays and face aggressive attorneys that may try to wear them down and take advantage of their lack of legal education. David Partovi can protect you from your legal opposition and ensure everything is filed correctly, on time, and without error, so you can put this stage of your life behind you.

Child's Best Interests


When the courts in Washington are reviewing a proposed custody arrangement, their primary goal is to serve the best interests of the child. Depending on the circumstances, this may involve joint custody or granting sole custody to one parent.

There Is So Much at Stake in a Child Custody Case Speak with a Child Custody Attorney Today

Even if your divorce or separation is amicable, you should consider working with qualified child custody attorney David Partovi. Family law in Washington is simply too complicated - and there is too much at stake - to proceed without a legal advocate.

  • Mr. Partovi can help you fill out the necessary parenting plan forms, with or without the cooperation of the other parent.
  • Mr. Partovi can advocate for you before a judge to ensure that your children's best interests are protected in court.
  • Mr. Partovi can defend you from false claims of domestic violence or other criminal charges that can affect your child custody case.

To learn more about how Mr. Partovi can assist you in your custody case, contact our law firm for a free consultation.

Call Us Today

(509) 638-3247

attorney david partovi
When you hire Spokane-based attorney David Partovi, he will be by your side through every step of the custody process.

"Thank you!"

"David and his team are extraordinarily helpful, responsive, and above all so knowledgeable! They keep you informed from start to finish and make sure You feel like their only priority. Thank you again to the Partovi Law Team!"
Andrew Swinford, 5-Star Google Review

Physical and Legal Custody In Washington

Washington differentiate between physical custody (also known as "parenting time") and legal custody. Keep in mind that even in joint custody arrangements, one parent could spend more time with their child than the other parent.

Physical Custody

Physical custody refers to where a child resides. Time may be split between both parents, or a child may spend more time with one parent than the other.

Legal Custody

Legal custody refers to decision-making authority. This includes the ability to make decisions about health, education, extracurricular activities, and religious upbringing.

Parenting Plans

In Washington, arrangements related to child custody and visitation are established in a court-approved parenting plan.

When a couple with children decides to divorce, they are expected to work together to design a parenting plan that they then submit to a judge for approval. If they are unable to collaborate, they may submit competing parenting plans. A judge will take both into consideration before issuing a custody order.

A family law attorney can help draft a parenting plan that ensures the best interests of your child while also considering your needs as a parent. In amicable joint-parenting situations, we can help smooth out differences and come to a mutual agreement. Should a custody dispute arise, we can advocate for you and explain why you are better suited to ensure the well-being of your child.

dad and daughter

Washington Courts Granted Mothers More Time Than Fathers in Nearly Two-Thirds of Parenting Plans Approved in 2016

Mother kissing child's nose while reading

What a Judge Will Consider
When Determining Custody

After submitting your parenting plan, a judge will consider several factors to determine whether sole or shared custody is appropriate. These factors include:

  • The parents' ability to work together
  • Each parent's participation in decision-making for the child
  • Where each parent lives
  • The parents' desire to share custody
  • Each parent's mental health, employment, and wishes
  • The child's relationship with each parent

Get the Custody Help You Need From Our Team in Spokane, WA

A divorce itself already causes suffering. The added threat of losing the ability to fully raise your child can make it feel like your life is out of control. For many parents, coming to our Spokane law office is the first step in securing parental rights and taking back their life. Reach out to our family law attorney over the phone at (509) 638-3247 or write to us to request your free consultation. 

"Family law in Washington is simply too complicated - and there is too much at stake - to proceed without a legal advocate. David Partovi will be by your side through every step of the custody process."
Father hugging daughters

Visitation Rights

Courts generally find that it's in the best interests of a child to spend time with both of their parents. When one parent has primary physical custody of a child, regular visitation rights may be granted to the non-custodial parent.

Visitation Schedules

In Washington State, the non-custodial parent is granted a minimum of one weeknight visit a week and visits every other weekend. The visitation schedule will be outlined in the parenting plan.

Supervision May Be Necessary

If a parent has a history of abuse or negligent behavior, but still has visitation rights, a judge may require these visits to be supervised to ensure the safety of the child.

When Custody Disputes Arise Our Child Custody Lawyer Can Help

When custody issues arise, they could get heated. Whether these disagreements revolve around paternity or parenting schedules, our Spokane family law attorney can help resolve these issues.

Disagreements Over Parenting Decisions

Choices about schools and education, medical care, and religious beliefs could get heated even among amicable co-parents. Our child custody attorney can consider both sides of the dispute. Mr. Partovi can either help mediate a discussion, or fight to ensure your child's best interests are upheld.

Moving and Relocation

Life is full of unexpected changes. Relocating for a job or a family obligation can lead to arguments over parenting time and custody arrangements. Our child custody lawyer can help work out an agreeable compromise that always keeps the reality of the situation and your child's needs in focus.

Seeking Sole Custody

There are times when your child needs to be protected from your former spouse. In these cases, our child custody lawyer can fight for you to receive sole physical and legal custody. We are ready to present a compelling case in the interest of your child's safety.

We Can Fight for Emergency Custody Contact Our Spokane Law Office for Assistance

If you believe your children are in immediate danger, it is always best to call the authorities first and then contact an attorney like Mr. Partovi in Spokane to help you file the necessary paperwork. While authorities can't do much in regards to civil situations such as child custody disagreements, if a child is in imminent threat of life or limb, they can help while we create compelling legal arguments to keep your children safe. 

(509) 638-3247

If a child custody dispute becomes heated, Mr. Partovi can help. With a background in both criminal and family law, he can defend you against allegations that threaten your rights as a parent.

Child Custody FAQ

What will the court consider when making a child custody decision?

The law directs judges to issue custody orders that serve the best interests of the child. Generally, judges in Washington want to approve some sort of joint custody so that both parents can maintain a relationship with the child. To determine if joint custody is best for the child, the court will consider many factors, including each parent's demonstrated care for the child, each parent's ability to work with the other parent, and, in some circumstances, the wishes of the child.

How are child custody and child support related?

Typically, the parent who has less physical custody must pay child support to the other parent. Calculating child support can be quite complicated. Our lawyer in Spokane, WA, assists parents with all aspects of the divorce process, including child support calculations.

If I don't get custody, will I at least get visitation?

Most likely, yes. Again, the courts want children to have relationships with both parents as often as possible, so if the other parent is awarded sole physical custody, you will probably receive visitation rights. A parent would only be denied visitation if they were convicted of a serious crime like domestic violence or sexual abuse.

I am in the military and deploying. How is custody handled then?

If you received orders for a temporary duty station or deployment, you can file a motion to have another person receive your parenting time. This can be the other parent or another family member or friend that has a close relationship with the child as long as that person is not limited by law. Generally, a motion must be filed with the courts and approved by a judge. If you have full physical custody, the same applies. 

How does custody differ if the other parent and I are not married?

In Washington State, fathers must establish parentage. Fatherhood can be determined through a paternity test, a court parentage case, adoption, or an acknowledgment of parentage filed with the state. Once this is determined, or if parentage is already established, the courts will then determine custody just like if the two parents were married.

Can a non-parent obtain custody of a child?

It depends on the situation and which state you and the child reside in. If you helped raise the child, took care of the child without expectations to be paid for that care, lived with the child consistently, had a parent-like relationship with the child, etc., then you can file a Petition for De Facto Parentage to obtain custody of the child. Again, the judge will consider what is in the child's best interest when determining if you can have physical custody.

Does the law favor either mothers or fathers?

Technically, no. However, statistics indicate that mothers receive primary custody more often than fathers, as illustrated below:

Our Reviews Speak for Themselves Serving Parents From Our Spokane Office




Google logo

I can't say enough good things about how quickly, professionally, and well my situation was handled by Partovi Law. From my initial call to resolution of my issue was incredibly fast, and Mr Partovi did absolutely amazing work.

View on Google

Ana Trusty


Google logo

Mr Partovi was professional, fast-acting, knowledgeable, and caring. He took the case with little information and turned it around in the court room. It was a huge win for the family. We are so grateful for his work! Would definitely recommend!

View on Google
David Partovi

Partovi Law

Attorney David Partovi and his team are always available when you need them. They are proud to be associated with:

  • Washington State Bar Association
  • Idaho State Bar
  • United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
  • United States District Court for the District of Idaho
  • 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

Contact us now by calling (509) 638-3247 or completing our online contact form. We can arrange to discuss your case with you as soon as possible.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite